permaculture - [permaculture] Compost Shower Video

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Darren Doherty" <darren@permaculture.biz>
  • To: "permacultue discussion list" <pil-pc-oceania@lists.permacultureinternational.org>, "Permaculture List" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Compost Shower Video
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:48:20 +1100

G'day,

At the start of the October 2007 Permaculture Design Certificate Course at
Quail Springs Learning Oasis and Permaculture Farm we faced a small problem
- we had 30 people needing showers and no hot water. Just down the road was
a lady growing goats who had some stable manure (goat shit/pee & straw). We
also had an existing shower house and 400 feet of 25mm HDPE pipe....So
inspired by another Google Video presentation of the late great Jean Pain (
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1718032861615687313 ) we put the
students to work. That evening we had our 1st 90 degree Fahrenheit showers.
The shower kept at this temperature for the whole 2 weeks of the course and
required only 5 minutes to recharge.

Ryan Beauregard (May/June 2007 Quail Springs PDC {Lawton/Doherty} Graduate)
did a sterling job in no time putting this little 6 minute show together
with me talking about it:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2167438453517712720&hl=en

As a footnote they tell me the compost was still making hot water well into
December of 2007...in fact on the 28th of November they needed to add cold
water! What a beauty!

Bravo to Ryan Beauregard for taking the footage and for doing the video
production work in readiness for the course concert.....Thanks also to Peter
Bane of the Permaculture Activist article on Jean Pain ("Another Kind of
Energy" - http://www.permacultureactivist.net/PeterBane/Jean_Pain.html )
that is the best that there is.....

--
Hooroo,
Darren J. Doherty

US Cell: +1 805 455.8914
Yahoo Voice Phone: +1 310 237 6970

WORLD TOUR 2007/8
North America/Europe
Permaculture Design Certificate Course (72hours)
Keyline Design Course (2-6days)