permaculture - [permaculture] Muchas Gracias RE: Seed or Plants for tropical Mexico

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: cuauhtemoc landeros <descendingeagle@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Muchas Gracias RE: Seed or Plants for tropical Mexico
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 03:55:34 +0000

Thanks so very much for your help. I will pass it on to everyone that can use
it.
Many blessings and inspiration.
With Hope
Cuauhtemoc> Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:35:50 -0600> From: esac@laneta.apc.org>
To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org> Subject: Re: [permaculture] Seed or
Plants for tropical Mexico> > Hola Cuautemoc,> > just to let you know of
three sources in Mexico...> > Seeds> > Gapo collects her own seeds and sells
some (she has an organic produce > store)- she's in Xalapa, I think, or
someplace in Veracruz. > casadestal@hotmail.com> > "Huerto de semillas" I
believe is an iniciative of Las Cañadas (Ricardo > Romero ) at
http://www.bosquedeniebla.com.mx/htm/curso.htm They > emphasize biointensive
production methods... write to > chidukarizo@yahoo.com.mx for a (very small)
catalog.> > They have also started a seed exchange effort called RED DE
SEMILLAS, > formada por pequeñas productores orgánicos interesados en
intercambiar y > distribuir sus semillas. (I contributed the sesame seeds,
for example).> > Finally, if you are in Morelos, we have tons of fruit tree
(and many > more ornamental plant) nurseries... Most between Yautepec and
Cuautla... > They have temperate as well as sub-tropical trees (you won't
find > low-altitude tropical trees like cacaos, for example). El Vivero de >
Yautepec has the most variety and highest prices... the smallest tree >
available will run about $90p ($8.50 US). I find cheaper elsewhere but > the
nurseries don't post outside what they have inside so searching > through all
of them is a bit like running the gauntlet. El V de Y. is > definitely the
place to buy mameys... and Asian fruit. Their website is >
http://www.viveroyautepec.com.mx/vivero.htm but last time I looked > their
list of fruit trees was down. Write me if you want a copy.> > Also, if
interested in reforesting, try CONAFOR - which unfortunately > likes
monocultures, but fortunately works with native species, they > give away
zillions of trees. IF you plant a minimum of 5 hectares, > either your own or
in conjunction with others, they will pay you for > planting them and give
you advise. This is carbon offset money. In > Morelos we have a state
department CEAMA Centro de Agua y Medio > Ambiente, I think, which has a much
better reforestry nursery. Also > native plants, mostly multi-purpose
(medicinal, forrage, N-fixing, food, > etc), mostly free and a very nice
variety.> > CONAFOR also has a very, very nice soil conservation manual which
you > can download,> http://www.conafor.gob.mx/portal/index.php?s1=4 (try
this link and > page down for the 4 descargos) Let me know if it doesn't
work.> > And from CONABIO comes this wonderful list of native trees.... > > >
El presente manual es uno de los productos del proyecto J084 "Árboles > >
mexicanos potencialmente valiosos para la restauración ecológica y la > >
reforestación"> >
http://www.conabio.gob.mx/conocimiento/info_especies/arboles/doctos/indice_especies.html>
> Where are you?> Suerte,> george anna> > > cuauhtemoc landeros wrote:> >
>Howdy Im working on getting a permaculture/demonstration/education project
going in Mexico and was wondering if anyone knows of any great or good
nurserys or companies with tropical plants or seeds? Thanks again. > > > >>