permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Foodsheds and Food Circles - The Fertile Crescent Concept for Bioregional Food Security

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Foodsheds and Food Circles - The Fertile Crescent Concept for Bioregional Food Security
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 19:00:10 -0500

Thanks,?

I will let everyone around here know about this and get back to you for help.

Larry

lbsaltzman@aol.com wrote:

> In Santa Barbara California. A local Landscape Architect and Permaculture
design course graduate?named Owen Dell,
has taken the concept of Foodshed down to the neighborhood. Several
neighborhood foodsheds have been setup up where
people bring their homegrown fruit, vegetables, and nuts to trade with other
members of the neighborhood.?
> We are also trading plants and seeds at these neighborhood foodsheds.

What a beginning! Next step would be to, of course use the Internet,
establish
overlapping regional product and services
marketing and distribution networks comprised of local networks or *.sheds
(<fill-in-the-blank>sheds). Take what you are
now doing that works and use that to construct a working protype that can be
refined and streamlined, put on the web and
replicated to expand your network. What better way to bring in new groups in
other areas than to offer them a turnkey
plan described on a website.

I am in the process of having installed an interactive integrated online
information and networking system
using a wiki, a blog and forums. You are welcome to use this resource if you
might find it useful.
I am open to adding extra sysops (admins) to manage their own areas of
interest.
Name is PermacultureWiki & it uses
MediaWiki, Wordpress blog and BBPress forums. Very robust, simple and relable
platforms.