permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:19:43 -0500

I think all of these definitions are excellent.  But the word culture, as in
"permanent culture" opens broad vistas that Permaculture needs to address
more deeply.  Modern anthropology has studied human cultures for well over a
century now - perhaps as long as a 150 years.  In the course of that study
anthopologists have defined a number of culture universals that are present
in every human culture.  I believe these are deep patterns that are as worthy
of study as the shape of leaves, or the flow of streams and rivers across the
landscape.  Amongst these universals, are elaborate systems for defining
family, clan and village relationships.  Cultural universals also include the
presence of myth, ritual and religion as an integral part of every human
culture.

If we are to build successful human communities designed for sustainable
living, I believe that we will have to find a way to address these critical
invisible structures.  The attempt to create functional communities, is as
much an exercise in recombinent ecology as the design of the landscape they
are placed on. There is a great deal of cultural history and wisdom that is
getting lost that will help us reconstruct the culture part of the equation.
I think the process will be of recombinent human cultures will be a lot
harder than the food and habitat structures to get right.

Larry Saltzman