permaculture - [permaculture] long paragraphs and readability

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jim <ashevillecurrencyproject@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] long paragraphs and readability
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 09:04:32 -0500

Hi All-
Could you try to break up long paragraphs into short ones?
This is an issue not just for the following item, but for other posts about
which
I haven't spoken up, on this list and other lists.
It is just about impossible for me to decipher
a text block like the one below. If I truly did want to read it, I'd copy and
paste in
into a word processor, and insert my own breaks, so that I could at least
understand the posting.

I acknowledge that sometimes software will strip out the blank lines that we
build
into our emails (like the one that should be between "other lists" and "I
acknowledge".

Thanks, and please don't repeat the long paragraph below if you reply to the
list.
Thanks,
-- Jim

PS- I agree with many of Knat's thoughts on governance. I don't want to have an interchange between the 700 people on this list about how to govern it, nor do I want
sudden banning of folks from the list.

First of all, I guess nobody knows what Jesus really said and what the church officials in charge tampered in the writings of the New Testament. To me, as somebody to whom love means the most precious part of life, to whom love gives meaning, significance and sense to life, this command always sounded kind of peculiar, as love is rather an emotion over which one has little authority. I wondered how can I love my enemies. - And so, one of the most crucial questions arises: What can we do to affect and initiate love. - But what we can control is our mind, and as compassion is one of the closest things to love, we are able, at least to a sufficient extent, to put ourselves through imagination in our fellow beings place. If at least the Christians would practice this relatively simple and evidently first rank (command) task, there would be a lot more compassion, understanding, and most likely, fairness and peace, and as a result of that, love. Without this a Christian has hardly the right to claim to be such.
I guess most agree that fairness is a crucial precondition for a loving social environment. Many, if not most, interpersonal, interpolitical and/or interreligious problems could be solved much easier, or wouldn't even emerge. As I already hinted at in a previous posting, a society of sharing rather than the preposterous owning and owing, would be a precondition for fairness. Property rights, and its resulting redlining and borders which don't exist in nature, or just very short term temporarily in animal communities, are, just like money, made up by persons, which probably through pressure from unbalancedly high populations, were trying to secure their self-preservation. As it wasn't possible back then to communicate on a global scale about the improvement of the "hunter and gatherer" lifestyle, nor were they likely to have the required knowledge and skills (as we have today) to do so, they saw themselves forced to start developing agricultural practices, to declare land as their property and to defend it, so they could harvest the products of their labor. With the consequences of this development we have to deal today. As long as people hold on to property rights, there will be others redlined, there will be borders, there will be the need for defense, certainly with population numbers like we have today, and this is hardly a viable base for fairness. No wonder that people, especially the mostly unpropertied people in the third world, as well as most youngsters, are so frustrated with the conditions they encounter. Virtually everything they see around them is considered to be the possession of others.

  • [permaculture] long paragraphs and readability, Jim, 12/26/2007