permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Why Bother With Permaculture - Emerging Social orgs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Why Bother With Permaculture - Emerging Social orgs
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:13:45 -0500

Stella,
"If we are honest with ourselves" we will acknowledge that what we've been doing for the last 25 years IS building the VERY social organizations you seem to think are lacking. See my signature for evidence in my own locale. And that doesn't even begin to list the other local orgs and other "invisible" structures influenced by our students much less those in other regions. Let's give ourselves some credit and take a few moments to celebrate, and declare the influence we DO wield. Certainly there's room for growth and further cooperation, but let's not belittle the work ALREADY accomplished.

If we were to generate a list of all the orgs we have created or are presently working with it would be many pages long (as evidenced further by the 100's of orgs listed in the Planetary Permaculture Directory <http://permacultureactivist.net/pcresources/PcResources2.htm>

Please refer to also to Paul Hawken's new book /Blessed Unrest: How the Largest Movement in the World Came into Being and Why No One Saw It Coming /
in which he starts to enumerate the blessings that have already been brought into being.

Think otherwise.

Stella wrote:
what we currently do in permaculture is a big an essential part of whatever these new social organizations will DO.

but I think if we are honest with ourselves we can´t say we've built any of these social organizations, NOR that we're anywhere near doing so.

(Please DO prove me wrong on this if you have some data to the contrary, I´d love to think otherwise.)

And the 'design' - lack of - of our own PC community (I believe) is testament to the fact that we're very much in the toddler stage of learning how to design effective social structures.
We can TALK about invisible design, we can point to some very rudimentary examples of some,
and we can even teach about it (and I certainly do teach it, putting a great deal of emphasis on the thing infact)... but I believe we can only teach to 3/4 of our own - practical - capacities, at best .. so we have a while to wait till our students figure out how to really DO good invisible design, I reckon.

--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."