permaculture - Re: [permaculture] This must be a hoax - Can any Aussies verify this report? Stockpile food for flu crisis | The Courier-Mail

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Stella <stella@finca-luna.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] This must be a hoax - Can any Aussies verify this report? Stockpile food for flu crisis | The Courier-Mail
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:12:13 +0100

a close colleague of mine (a medic) is the pendemia expert for our bioregion .. been working on this for years and recently the authorities have started to take it seriously and so he's been flying around to all regional health autorities these last two months, informing about this, to get them to think of logistics ...

the interesting thing (for me) is that he got very interested in permaculture through doing this work (that's how we got in touch in the first place, and he's now one of our best allies in the bioregional sustainability programmes we're running) and what his work consists of in essence is advising on very basic common-sense measures like having separate waiting rooms in hospitals (for people coming in with broken toes or with possibly contageous illnesses: amazing huh, that they haven´t thought of this before?), having a plan for closing down schools quickly (involves identifying what ESSENTIAL functions schools really serve, and this has been very embarassing apparently :), and generally spreading awareness about how vulnerable the whole (very unsustainable) caboodle is, in the current running of our society: where our food comes from, what would happen if a significant percentage of the working population didn´t show up to their jobs, etc.

so, pandemia or not, it´s all useful stuff, in terms of building local resiliance

personally i was very skeptic, especially given the pharmaceutical industry's genious in marketing us more and more drugs (not to mention a completely irrational deep love for my chickens)... but now am getting increasingly skeptical about my skepticism... if it´s true that pandemias are (historically) just another periodic occurrance, they could be just another of Gaia's wise (beyond our comprehension) self-regulating mechanisms ... and then (apparently) we're due another one soonish.