permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Growing mushrooms

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Growing mushrooms
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 01:18:45 -0500

Anna,
What you're looking for isn't spores but spawn (or plugs) (specifically for the Agaricus spp which are generally classed as moderately difficult to grow). Growing from spores is a bit more advanced and not recommended for beginners (unless you have a laboratory).
Spawn is preinoculated media made from sawdust and / or grain, or liquid, that you can add to the manure (or logs, or straw, or whatever medium you have prepped) in which the mycelia have already permeated and run through the (usually) bag.

I don't know if you can't simply buy them cheaper than growing them. Other varieties are much easier to grow.

Try MushroomPeople <http://www.mushroompeople.com/> at The Farm in TN

Button Mushroom <http://www.mushroompeople.com/index.php?cPath=10_11> ready to grow kit only (but talk to them)

Lion's Mane <http://www.mushroompeople.com/index.php?cPath=10_20>
Maitake <http://www.mushroompeople.com/index.php?cPath=10_24>

Morel <http://www.mushroompeople.com/index.php?cPath=10_29>
Phoenix Oyster <http://www.mushroompeople.com/index.php?cPath=10_32>
Portobella <http://www.mushroompeople.com/index.php?cPath=10_36>

Reishi <http://www.mushroompeople.com/index.php?cPath=10_38>
Shiitake <http://www.mushroompeople.com/index.php?cPath=10_43>
Tree Oyster <http://www.mushroompeople.com/index.php?cPath=10_54>

or
Fungi Perfecti <http://fungiperfecti.com/> in WA
http://fungiperfecti.com/cultures/spawn.html
http://www2.mailordercentral.com/fungi/prodinfo.asp?number=CAB200 Agaricus

or
http://www.mushroomharvest.com/
Good prices!

or
http://fieldforest.net/index.html

There are a few other sources but I know these folks best.

http://www.sporeworks.com/store/catalog/Agaricus-bitorquis--Warm-Weather-Button-Tork-p-16328.html

By the way, if you grow mushrooms, even buttons, don't eat them raw. You might as well toss them over your shoulder for all the nutrition you will get out of them. To access the nourishment you need to cook or pickle them.

more links
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/apr2001.html
http://www.personal.psu.edu/mab568/Agaricus.htm <http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/apr2001.html>
http://knowledge.biotec.or.th/doc_upload/200411516110.doc (word document) save file as

Keith

Anna Larson wrote:
I love the button mushrooms and I have far more then my own fair share of
horse maure ( with 7 pooping machines here). But what I haven't been able to
find easily is the spores for growing mushrooms for food. I have tried the
"kits" but they come already packaged with the manure. I'd like to find
somewhere to purchase only the spores and use my own large quantities of
compost. so does anyone have some contact info for companies who carry
spores for legal Edible mushrooms? thanks

Anna Larson
New Mexico

http://www.freewebs.com/dunappaloosa/index.htm

--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47407
(812) 335-0383
http://www.permacultureactivist.net
http://www.PermacultureTradingPost.com
Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way
http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower
http://www.PowUr.com/KeithJ-SunPower
Blog: http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/design/Designconsult.html
http://www.ARCulture.org
also APPLE-Bloomington (Alliance for a Post-Petroleum Local Economy) It's a
small world after oil.
also Bloomington Permaculture Guild