permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Mycoremediation of petroleum-polluted sites.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Mycoremediation of petroleum-polluted sites.
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 13:53:27 -0500

David wrote:

> Would it be possible to offer more information, if you remember or have it?

Maybe this will be useful:

http://eyeteeth.blogspot.com/2004/12/mycorevolution-in-160-page-year-end.html
Eyeteeth: A journal of incisive ideas
12.01.2004

Mycorevolution: In the 160-page year-end "Big Ideas" issue of Adbusters, I wrote about the--ahem--mushrooming potential of fungi to do everything from clean up oil spills to cure fatal diseases. My unedited version:

"Some people think I'm a mycological heretic, some people think I'm a mycological revolutionary, and some just think I'm crazy," says Paul Stamets of Shelton, Washington. The revolutionary heresy he practices is one based on mycotechnolgy—using mushrooms to do everything from fighting disease to cleaning up toxic waste, from regenerating damaged logging roads to combating feisty termites and carpenter ants. Author of several books on the medicinal, culinary, and environmental use of mushrooms and the recipient of the Collective Heritage Institute's 1998 Bioneers Award, Stamets uses his business, Fungi Perfecti, to explore how to tap into the power of the vast web of mycelial networks in our soil—a kind of "matrix" of fungal filaments that can grow as big as 20,000 acres. Among the oldest and largest biological entities on the planet, these webs of fungal cells (mycelia) make up "the essential wiring of the Gaian consciousness," says Stamets. They have an "inherent intelligence," an ability to "respond to natural disasters and sudden changes in the environment." In short, mycelia produce acids and enzymes that aid in decomposition by dismantling chains of hydrogen and carbon—these hydrocarbons are at the root of most petroleum products, pollutants, and pesticides. Several years ago, Stamets' had the opportunity to show off his shrooms. In an experiment with the Washington State Department of Transportation, he competed in a contest of sorts: he treated ten cubic yards of diesel-contaminated soil with spores from oyster mushrooms, while other researchers using chemical and biological agents treated their own plots of earth. The other technologies had little success after four weeks, but Stamets fungi were amazing: enormous mushrooms, some a foot in diameter, had covered the soil. When tested, the mushrooms had no traces of petroleum, and 95 percent of the hydrocarbons had been broken down. After 12 weeks the soil was deemed safe enough for the DOT to use for highway landscaping. Continuing research is showing that certain species of fungus can break down sarin and VX nerve gases, that fungal mats can filter out and digest E.coli, and that mushrooms may have a role to play in fighting HIV, to name just a few of Stamets' successes. The potential for this area of study is staggering: each of Stamets' discoveries have come from the study and cataloguing of some 50,000 species of mushrooms—a mere fraction of the estimated 6 million varieties on earth.

Additional, different information from a Google search for " mycoremediation of
petroleum-polluted sites"

Then one for "mycoremediation"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=CVf&q=mycoremediation+&btnG=Search

The first page of search results:

Mycoremediation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mycoremediation is a form of bioremediation, the process of using mushrooms to return an environment (usually soil) contaminated by pollutants to a less ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycoremediation - 19k - Cached - Similar pages - Note
this
Fungi Perfecti®: Mushrooms and the ecosystem
Fungi Perfecti supports mycoremediation, the use of gourmet and medicinal mushrooms to help preserve and protect the environment.
www.fungi.com/mycotech/mycova.html - 75k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this
Word Spy - mycoremediation
mycoremediation (my.koh.ruh.mee.dee.AY.shun) n. The cleansing of a natural habitat by using fungi to break down harmful bacteria, toxic waste, ...
www.wordspy.com/words/mycoremediation.asp - 23k - Cached - Similar pages -
Note this
Mycoremediation Technologies
The technique is called mycoremediation, which uses mycelium, the vegetative part of a fungus, to break down contaminants. ...
www.battelle.org/Environment/publications/EnvUpdates/Fall00/article4.html -
6k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this
Amazon.com: Mycoremediation: Fungal Bioremediation: Books ...
Amazon.com: Mycoremediation: Fungal Bioremediation: Books: Harbhajan Singh by
Harbhajan Singh.
www.amazon.com/Mycoremediation-Fungal-Bioremediation-Harbhajan-Singh/dp/047175501X - 178k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this
Scientists Finding Fungi a Valuable Ally in Habitat Restoration by ...
Environmentalists call mycoremediation an elegant dance with the natural world that is ... In mycoremediation, scientists train various fungal strains, ...
www.rawfoodinfo.com/articles/art_fungiallytohabitat.html - 15k - Cached -
Similar pages - Note this
mycoremediation
The mycoremediation process begins with field collection of higher fungi from an area of interest. The process includes the selection, culturing, ...
rydberg.biology.colostate.edu/Phytoremediation/2001/RichC_web/lastchance.htm
- 22k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this
New Chapter - How mushrooms will save the world
Diesel oil had contaminated the site, which the mycoremediation team ... Stamets recently collaborated with WSDOT on another mycoremediation project ...
www.new-chapter.com/media/article/stamets_saloncom.html - 24k - Cached -
Similar pages - Note this
Ming the Mechanic: Mycoremediation
Diesel oil had contaminated the site, which the mycoremediation team inoculated with strains of oyster mycelia that Stamets had collected from old-growth ...
ming.tv/flemming2.php/__show_article/_a000010-000607.htm - 11k - Cached -
Similar pages - Note this
Eyeteeth: A journal of incisive ideas.
12.01.2004. Mycorevolution: In the 160-page year-end "Big Ideas" issue of Adbusters, I wrote about the--ahem--mushrooming potential of fungi to do ...
eyeteeth.blogspot.com/2004/12/mycorevolution-in-160-page-year-end.html - 68k
- Cached - Similar pages - Note this

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/bookhome/112467561/

Mycoremediation
Published Online: 6 Mar 2006
Author(s): Harbhajan Singh
Print ISBN: 9780471755012 Online ISBN: 9780470050590
DOI: 10.1002/0470050594
Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Book Home
Product Information | For Authors
Table Of Contents

Frontmatter (p i-xxi)
Harbhajan Singh
Summary | Full Text: PDF (Size: 179K)

Chapter 1:
Introduction (p 1-28)
Harbhajan Singh
Summary | Full Text: PDF (Size: 323K)

Chapter 2:
Fungal Treatment of Industrial Wastewaters (p 29-75)
Harbhajan Singh
Summary | Full Text: PDF (Size: 489K)

Chapter 3:
Fungal Treatment of Distillery and Brewery Wastes (p 76-114)
Harbhajan Singh
Summary | Full Text: PDF (Size: 384K)

Chapter 4:
Fungal Metabolism of Petroleum Hydrocarbons (p 115-148)
Harbhajan Singh
Summary | Full Text: PDF (Size: 359K)

Chapter 5:
Fungal Degradation of Polychlorinated Biphenyls and Dioxins (p 149-180)
Harbhajan Singh
Summary | Full Text: PDF (Size: 348K)

Chapter 6:
Fungal Degradation of Pesticides (p 181-214)
Harbhajan Singh
Summary | Full Text: PDF (Size: 365K)

Chapter 7:
Fungal Metabolism of Phenols, Chlorophenols, and Pentachlorophenol (p 215-282)
Harbhajan Singh
Summary | Full Text: PDF (Size: 693K)

Chapter 8:
Fungal Metabolism of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (p 283-356)
Harbhajan Singh
Summary | Full Text: PDF (Size: 738K)

Chapter 9:
Fungal Lignin Degradation and Decolorization of Pulp and Paper Mill Effluents
(p 357-419)
Harbhajan Singh
Summary | Full Text: PDF (Size: 671K)

Chapter 10:
Fungal Decolorization and Degradation of Dyes (p 420-483)
Harbhajan Singh
Summary | Full Text: PDF (Size: 565K)

Chapter 11:
Fungal Biosorption of Heavy Metals (p 484-532)
Harbhajan Singh
Summary | Full Text: PDF (Size: 493K)

Chapter 12:
Mycorrhizal Fungi in Rhizosphere Remediation (p 533-572)
Harbhajan Singh
Summary | Full Text: PDF (Size: 439K)

Index (p 573-592)
Harbhajan Singh
Summary | Full Text: PDF (Size: 274K)

All Content
Publication Title
Enter words or phrases
Go

* CrossRef / Google Search
* Acronym Finder

Search in Chapters

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/summary/113452882/SUMMARY

Mycoremediation
Enter words or phrases
Select a Field
Reprint Inquiries
Wiley InterScience Article Reprints
Need a reprint?

Paper or electronic reprints are available for all content published on Wiley InterScience. Inquiries can be submitted online.

Find out more about reprints

Advances in Photochemistry now Digitized in its Entirety

26 volumes providing one of the only forums for critical and authorative
evaluation of advances in photochemistry.

Go to Advances in Photochemistry homepage.

View OnlineBooks Series Information Page
Latest News & Information

Turkish R&D on Environmental and Sustainability Issues

Topical Issue of CLEAN
to be published in December 2007

Read more...
Related Products
Journals

* Acta Hydrochimica et Hydrobiologica 1973-1997

* CLEAN - Soil, Air, Water

* Environmental Progress

* Environmental Progress 1982-1999

* Pest Management Science

Online Books

* Biological Monitoring of Rivers

* Elements of Environmental Chemistry

* Environmental Biology for Engineers and Scientists

* Introduction to Environmental Analysis

* Perspektiven der agrarwissenschaftlichen Forschung

About Wiley InterScience | About Wiley | Privacy | Terms & Conditions
Copyright © 1999-2007 John Wiley & Sons, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Mycoremediation

Published Online: 3 Nov 2006

Author(s): Harbhajan Singh

Print ISBN: 9780471755012 Online ISBN: 9780470050590

Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Save Title
Book Homepage Link

E-Mail and Print Toolbar

< Previous Summary | Next Summary >

Save Chapter to My Profile Download Citation

Summary | Full Text: PDF (439k) | Related Chapters

Mycorrhizal Fungi in Rhizosphere Remediation

Chapter Author: Harbhajan Singh
Summary

This chapter contains sections titled:

* Introduction
* Classification of Mycorrhizal Fungi
* Functions of Mycorrhizal Mycelium
* Methods for Studying Mycorrhizal Fungi
* Molecular Mechanisms of Mycorrhizal Symbiosis
* Metabolism of Mycorrhizal Fungi
* Uptake of Toxic Metals
* Petroleum Hydrocarbon Degradation
* Lignin and Phenolic Degradation
* PAH and TNT Degradation
* PCB Degradation
* Herbicide Degradation
* Comparison of Mycorrhizal and White-Rot Fungi
* Conclusions and Future Perspectives