permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pond construction

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Stella <stella@finca-luna.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pond construction
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 23:01:06 +0100

from the book "From Eco-Cities to Living Machines" (Nancy & John Todd), p.72

"Russian scientist had wanted to find out why bogs and small ponds often formed on top of rubble heap hills, places which under normal conditions would not hold water for long. They discovered that this was made possible through a biological process that occurs over rather long periods of time, a process they called gley formation. Gley is like a biological sealant or plastic that forms in the abscence of oxygen when the carbon-to-nitrogen ratio of accumulated plant material is just right."

they go on to describe successfully trying a 'speeded up gley formation' in coral islands (no clay) using shredded coconuts, wild papaya, trunks leaves and stems (to provide the carbon-nitrogen ratio). To drive out the oxygen and produce an anaerobic environment they layed flimsy plastic on top, and on top of that, 6 inches of coral sand.

Holzer doesn´t use pigs to make his ponds, but big machines and doesn´t mention adding shit but emphasizes the swooshing about of the water-earth mix (not mud, more water) which is what he says he observed the pigs doing. It´s the compacting + later the flocculating fine clay suspensions what make the seal.

(isn´t urine a deflocculant?)