permaculture - Re: [permaculture] making charcoal cheaply at home?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] making charcoal cheaply at home?
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 10:36:51 +1100

Theres a number of easy ways to make charcoal with an old 44 gall drum. Re
pollutants, yes there's some acetates and creosote etc emitted (large
charcoal plants extract these as products) but what many people forget is
that the carbon remains in the charcoal, hence carbon emissions are
exceptionally low. Charcoal has a much high fuel potential than burning
wood.
Theres a revived interest in small-scale charcoal making, not only as a fuel
source but for conditioning soil and as a means of carbon sequestration.
Much the latter is using crop residues and woody organic waste. We did some
charcoal making with our APT class this year, from prunings and woody weeds
(lantana). Used some of the larger pieces of charcoal for a small smithing
forge but most of the charcoal we've used in the garden, with very positive
results.

Ciao
Robyn