permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture Blog/Healthy Soil/Good Info

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture Blog/Healthy Soil/Good Info
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:22:17 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] why no definition of 'what is a healthy soil?'
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:16:16 -0700
From: DJ <thenaturalway101@YAHOO.COM>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

I think this 'about' tells it all, really.
http://permaculturetokyo.blogspot.com/2007/02/healthy-life-from-healthy-soil.html
or http://tinyurl.com/29nzef if the above long url
breaks up onto 2 lines and is not entirely clickable.
I actually grow worms and make my own compost
(Organically, TheNaturalWay) for the food I grow. My
rabbits poop also contribute to that as well.

DJ (North Central Texas)

P.S. Your 'friend' should join this group, I think. ;)
P.S.S. This is my 1st post to this group, so I hope
it comes thru....but I have been a member here for
well over 1 year.
P.S.S.S. My favorite website, for the most part is
http://www.DirtDoctor.com (here in the DFW Texas
area).

--- Paul Kristiansen <paul.kristiansen@UNE.EDU.AU>
wrote:

Forwarded for a colleague not on the list.
Please reply to <charles.merfield@teagasc.ie>.
Apologies for cross-posting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi folks

I've been asked to make a presentation to an organic
farmer discussion group
on 'healthy soil'. I thought it was important to
define 'healthy soil' for
my talk, however, on trawling the web and leading
organic institutions
(IFOAM, Soil Assn, Rodale Inst., Soil & Health Assn.
websites none of them
appear to give a succinct answer to the question
'What is a healthy soil?'.
I of course realise that this is not a simple thing
to define and is many
things to many people, but considering 'healthy
soil, healthy food healthy
people' is a defining catch-cry and mantra for the
organic movement, it
seems odd that we have not defined healthy soil by
now, especially
considering the huge effort put into sorting out the
IFOAM principles and
current work on a definition of organics.

I welcome peoples comments and thoughts

Cheers
Merf

Charles 'Merf' Merfield
Organic Agriculture Research Officer
Teagasc
Johnstown Castle Research Centre
Co. Wexford
Republic of Ireland
Phone +353 (0)53 917 1268
Mobile +353 (0)87 416 3635
Fax +353 (0)53 9142213
charles.merfield@teagasc.ie

  • [permaculture] Permaculture Blog/Healthy Soil/Good Info, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 10/22/2007