permaculture - Re: [permaculture] conventional fireplaces

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: KNat <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] conventional fireplaces
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 19:51:07 -0400

lbsaltzman@aol.com wrote:
Has anyone ever come up with a way of retrofitting conventional fireplaces to
make them more efficient?? Like many people we are stuck with conventional
ones. It would sure be nice to fix them without having to build new ones in
addition to the tow we already have.
We did our two to close them up for reducing heat loss. We have lots of fallen sticks to bag up in sacks for fires. I used to soak and make logs from junkmail but am much happier now shredding it for chicken bedding.
One fireplace has hollow grate w vent system to harvest heat, and glass doors. Not great but at least doesn't leak air out anymore. Called a heatilator (curbside find round here.)
The other, we added an insert stove found in someone's garage. It uses less wood, closes off when not in use, and heats water and a pot of beans on top.
The stove is enough to take the edge off until solar heats up. We usually use it at night. I've explored adding water heating to the process but salvaged some solar water panels so they'll be first.
Both draw room air to burn so I put in a solar air collector to add positive pressure (house built pre-1900.)

Peace,
Kathyann