permaculture - [permaculture] Albert Bates Catskills Pc Seminars

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Albert Bates Catskills Pc Seminars
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:33:53 -0400

PRESS RELEASE: New York, September 14, 2006.
Contact: Andrew Phillips
greenman124@yahoo.com
http://www.permaculturedesignsolutions.com/
917-771-9382

On the Path to Sustainability: Problems and Prospects
in our Bioregion: Catskills' Seminars with Albert
Bates.

Hancock Permaculture Center is pleased to announce a
series of seminars in the Catskills bio-region.

We are collaborating with a variety of organizations
and people to introduce Albert Bates and his wide
experience in sustainability and permaculture. If we
can establish nodes of permanence within our
communities by better understanding where we live and
how we live, we will be more prepared for energy
decent.
Andrew Leslie Phillips

“Oil has become the world’s foremost energy resource.
There is no ready substitute, and decades will be
required to wean societies from it. Peak Oil could
therefore constitute the greatest economic challenge
since the dawn of the industrial revolution.” --
Richard Heinberg

"Federal agencies currently have no coordinated or
well-defined strategy either to reduce uncertainty
about the timing of a peak or to mitigate its
consequences. This lack of a strategy makes it
difficult to gauge the appropriate level of effort or
resources to commit to alternatives to oil and puts
the nation unnecessarily at risk.” -- U.S. Govt
Accountability Office, March 2007

Modern society is designed on the premise of cheap and
abundant energy produced by fossil fuels like oil and
coal. But oil is getting expensive and burning coal to
produce electricity is changing the climate. How do we
adapt our infrastructure and lives to create
resilient, sustainable systems for the future? How can
we meet the twin challenges of climate change and peak
oil that are coming very soon?

There are alternatives applicable on all scales.
Ecovillages are reducing energy use, localizing
farming, and creating more sustainable local
businesses. “Transition Towns” are springing up in
North America and Europe. The Relocalization Network
supports 159 groups in 12 countries to midwife the
change. Europe leads the world in the number of
registered ecovillages, with 138, followed by North
America (110), Latin America (58), Asia/Oceania (52),
and Africa/Middle East (21).

"Planned communities tend to evoke over-developed
suburban neighborhoods and mini-malls," says the
newest update to WorldWatch Institute’s Viital Signs
2007. "But increasingly, planned communities will come
to mean neighbors living with a purpose beyond
consumerism, embracing a sustainable lifestyle and
forging meaningful connections with their neighbors."

Albert Bates is a permaculture and appropriate
technology instructor at the Ecovillage Training
Center at The Farm community in Summertown, Tennessee.
He has taught sustainable design, natural building,
appropriate technology and permaculture to students
from more than 50 nations. For seven years he served
on the steering committee of Plenty, a relief and
development organization with a focus on indigenous
peoples, human rights and the environment, and in 1980
shared in the first Right Livelihood Award (known as
the Alternative Nobel Prize).One of the founders of
the Ecovillage Network of the Americas (1994) and the
Global Ecovillage Network (1995), he is author of
eleven books, including Shutdown: Nuclear Power on
Trial (1979) and Climate in Crisis: The Greenhouse
Effect and What We Can Do (1990). His Post-Petroleum
Survival Guide and Cookbook: Recipes for Changing
Times (2006) envisions the world as it will be
transformed by peak oil and climate change, and offers
a prescription for human re-inhabitation within
changed conditions.

The Post Petroleum Survival Guide and Cookbook:
Recipes for Changing Times has been named by ForeWord
Magazine as one of the Ten Best Environmental Books of
the Year. ForeWord is the leading trade magazine for
libraries and booksellers in the USA.

Asked where he places himself on the peak oil
spectrum, Albert says, "I lean toward the soft
landing, or maybe a middle course that leads us to
curb the rapacious appetites that have been so
destructive of the natural world upon which we all
depend. It isn't that I think governments will get
smarter in time to make a real difference, although
that could still happen, but I think people will
educate themselves and will have time and resources
enough to make their own transitions to appropriate
lifestyle patterns, regardless of the ineptitude of
their leaders.”

This all-day seminar will introduce permaculture, a
land design system that encourages sustainable food,
water, land restoration, forest gardening, flood
mitigation, low energy footprint and a future.

WHEN:
Wednesday Oct. 3. 7.30pm Cooperstown, Otsego County Court House
193 Main Street, Cooperstown.
Contact: Adrian Kuzminski, 607-547-8586

Thursday Oct. 4. 7-9 pm.
Manhattan.
Friends Meeting House
15 Rutherford Place (on 15th Street between 2nd and
3rd Avenues)
Manhattan.

Friday Oct. 5. 9-4
Lock Sheldrake (Liberty).
Sullivan County Community College SUNY,
112 College Road (off R. 52), Lock Sheldrake.
Contact: Beverly Page 845-434-5750

Saturday Oct. 6. 9.30-4.30
Binghampton, Broome County Public Library, 185 Court Street, Binghamton, Contact: Susan Fahrenz to register - 607-584-9966. Jerrine Wyman for information - 518-364-8295

Sunday Oct. 7. 9-4
Milford (Cooperstown & Oneonta), Greater Milford Historical Society,
7 North Main Street, Milford.
Contact: Ed Lentz, 607-263-5425
Colleen Blacklock 607-433-4729

Co sponsors: Hancock Permaculture Center, Sullivan County Community
College SUNY, Lock Sheldrake, Sierra Club NYC Group,
Beyond Oil NYC, Neighborhood Energy Network. Tri-State
Food Not Lawns Friends in Unity with Nature. Cornell
Cooperative Extension of Broome County, City of
Binghamton, Sierra Club - Susquehanna Group.
Sustainable Otsego, Cooperstown Environmental Work
Group of the Coalition for Democracy, the Freemans
Journal newspaper, Otsego County Conservation
Association, and Hartwick College's 'Global Climate
Change' Academic year Theme.

Andrew Leslie Phillips
917-771-9382
http://www.hancockpermaculture.org
http://www.permaculturedesignsolutions.com
http://www.stoneandgarden.net
Permaculture encourages:
"Care of Earth. Care of people. Return of surplus to both."

--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47408
(812) 335-0383
http://www.permacultureactivist.net
Impeachment: It's not just for blowjobs anymore.
Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way
http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower
http://www.PowUr.com/KeithJ-SunPower
Blog: http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/design/Designconsult.html
also APPLE-Bloomington (Alliance for a Post-Petroleum Local Economy) It's a
small world after oil.
also Bloomington Permaculture Guild

  • [permaculture] Albert Bates Catskills Pc Seminars, Keith Johnson, 09/14/2007