permaculture - Re: [permaculture] weed destruction in large scale paper&mulch

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] weed destruction in large scale paper&mulch
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:31:58 -0400

Andrew French wrote:
I am doing a large scale landscaping project and I just wanted to put this
question out there to all you permaculture peeps, even though it's probably
been answered a bunch before.

We usually sodkick and weed the area that we are preparing for the
paper/mulch treatment. This project we're doing is so large that we're
considering not weeding, just paper/mulch. There are a lot of dandelions,

Keep the dandelions and just about everything else except Johnson grass,
Bermuda grass,
redroot pigweed, Pennsylvania smartweed and a few others. Can't you integrate many of the "weeds" into a natural wild landscape with berms and swales, bogs, ponds, pools and other water impoundments, adjoining other more controlled areas. If its a permaculture landsacape this would be SOP I would think.

and the soil is very sandy. I was considering flame weeding or a vinegar
herbicide.

That would be effective in combination with tillage.

Has anybody done this on a large scale and is it wise to forgo the weeding
part of the landscaping?

I have done it with 4 acres of farmland using tillage and excavation. You
will need to get rid of
Johnson grass and Bermuda grass for sure before doing any plantings or
instaling landscape features such as paths
and erosion control measures such as embankments planted with ground cover,
perennials or evergreens.

I did landscaping for 16 years before going into vegetable growing so am familiar with weed problems in planned landscaping projects and the effect they can have on the finished product and maintenance routines.
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lflj@intrex.net