permaculture - [permaculture] reduce pesticide use by the ton and oil-based fertilizer

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "J Kolenovsky" <garden@hal-pc.org>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] reduce pesticide use by the ton and oil-based fertilizer
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:14:12 -0500

Jay said:

I also think evolutionary. Meanwhile, in a satirical viewpoint, the
people who like lawns with chemicals are like chimpanzees and when they
eventually evolve into humans, they will be organically inclined.

Speaking of lawn pampered chemicals, lets keep the fert/chem/pest/herb
out of the storm drain which lands in the bayou and conveys to the
bay/lake and ultimately into a gulf, sea or ocean. When I eat SHRIMP, I
don't want them flavored with fert/chem/pest/herb.

Paul said:

I also think that the road to healing the earth is going to be
evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Back to lawns: Yes, it is painful to see somebody mowing an acre of
grass every week. It would be great to see a forest garden there
instead. But while they are lawn crazy - maybe they can at least be
lawn crazy without the chemicals.

Jay said:

Yes, that education goes a long way. We have a grass roots movement
called "Watersmart". Aggies came up with the concept. It teaches to use
water-wise plants along with turf reduction and no chemicals. It is a
cuspy border-line organic, native, permie line of thinking to a smaller
degree. The concept can foster growth in "Wildscapes" (the stuff ewe
and I like). Wildscapes is the natural look. It can be somewhat attended
for a groomed look or left alone.

Paul said:

The people that are searching for "lawn care" are not searching for
"organic lawn care" or "sustainable lawn care". They just want to have
it be nice and figure there is something more to know. So if a
picture is painted for them that makes it easier and more purty - and
if a bit of toxic education comes along the way too ... well, yay
team!

Jay said: Yes, I wanted to know more about lawns and went on a knowledge
finding trip. What I found out was that I wanted to reduce turf
coverage so I wouldn't have to mow as often. So, I got rid of 50% of
turf. 4 months later got rid of the final 50%.
www.hal-pc.org/~garden

Also, I talked with a Dane the other day and the subject of lawns came
up. He said, "Yes, you yanks are a bit bullish on the turfgrass, aren't
you now?" Yes sir, Mr. Dane, we have some ignorant people who think
monocultures are in.

Paul said:

The people that are searching for "lawn care" are not searching for
"organic lawn care" or "sustainable lawn care". They just wanna have
it be nice and figure there is something more to know. So if a
picture is painted for them that makes it easier and more purty - and
if a bit of toxic education comes along the way too ... well, yay
team!

Conclusion:

Turf; less is better
Chemicals; none is better
Native plants; best

Somewhat off-topic though related to by artificial fertilizer.
OIL: Does anyone know how many products come from oil?

Artificial limbs, Bandages, Dentures, Model Cars, Folding Doors, Hair
Curlers,
Car Battery Cases, Epoxy Paint, Mops, Slacks, Insect Repellent
CD Player Faucet Washers Antiseptics Clothesline Curtains
Clothes Toothbrushes Ice Chests Footballs Combs CD's Paint Brushes
Detergents
Cold cream Movie film Soft Contact lenses Drinking Cups Fan Belts Car
Enamel
Food Preservatives Basketballs Soap Vitamin Capsules Antihistamines
Football Cleats Upholstery Sweaters Boats Insecticides Bicycle Tires
Linings Skis TV Cabinets Shag Rugs Electrician's Tape Tool Racks
Motorcycle Helmet Caulking Petroleum Jelly Transparent Tape
Oil Filters Umbrellas Yarn

F e r t I l I z e r s

Hair Coloring Roofing Panty Hose Refrigerant Percolators Life Jackets
Rubbing Alcohol Perfumes Cassettes Dishwasher Tool Boxes Shoe Polish
Purses Shoes Dashboards Cortisone Deodorant Footballs Putty Dyes
Safety Glasses Antifreeze Football Helmets Awnings Eyeglasses
Shampoo Wheels Paint Rollers Shower Curtains Guitar Strings Luggage
Aspirin
Shaving Cream Ammonia Refrigerators Golf Balls Toothpaste Gasoline
Solvents Diesel Motor Oil Bearing Grease Ink Floor Wax Ballpoint Pens
Sports Car Bodies Nail Polish Fishing lures Dresses Tires Golf Bags
Synthetic Rubber Speakers Plastic Wood Electric Blankets Glycerin
Telephones Enamel Pillows Dishes Cameras Anesthetics Artificial Turf
Tennis Rackets Rubber Cement Fishing Boots Dice Nylon Rope Candles
Toilet Seats Fishing Rods Lipstick Denture Adhesive Linoleum Ice Cube
Trays
Trash Bags House Paint Water Pipes Hand Lotion Roller Skates Surf Boards
Vaporizers Balloons Sun Glasses Tents Heart Valves Crayons Parachutes

I wonder what the average John Doe would think about all this when the
oil crash phenomena feces hits the oscillating mechanism? Whatever year,
whatever decade.
I don't think they even have thought oil is the base root of all things
they consume. There will be less of those things when resources, energy
and oil are around. A large percentage of the world is fed via
artificial fertilizer. What happens when artifical fert becomes scarce
or not at all? Will that large percentage of the world have already
begun to become organic and use organic methods? Will turf reduction be
the order of the day or will that have already been started much prior
to the art fert scenario?

What exciting and challenging times lie ahead? Next year, next decade,
several decades. Most certainly not next decade.

All this because of that discovery at Oil Creek, Titusville, PA, Aug 27,
1859. Who'd ever imagine?

--
J. Kolenovsky, habitat environmentalist
preservation of habitat / natural resources