permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Working on a US farm with a B1-B2 VISA

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Silvio Marquardt <marquardtsilvio@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Working on a US farm with a B1-B2 VISA
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:31:04 +0100 (BST)

"...I'm wondering if it's imprudent, here in the US, to give this fellow
a chance to work, as a WWOOFER or otherwise..."

Dear Allan,

I know it is hard to live under an "almost dictatorship" like the USA (I wish
I were joking about it !), but, eventually, you could try to challenge your
system and give an opportunity to a fellow "Earthling".

I live in a country which was supposed to be a dictatorship (Japan), but
seems to have more civil rights than the USA these days, and what you say
sounds like a Zen Buddhist "koan" to me "...Other information says that you
can neither work for FREE or for PAY while in the US on a B1 or B2..."

He will NOT be working, friend, he will be just helping in the kitchen :-) !

Is there a law in the USA forbidden guests to "work" in the kitchen in order
to help their hosts for a few days ? If the police comes over that is what
you would tell them...End of the story !

Relax !

Silvio

Allan Balliett <aballiett@frontiernet.net> wrote: I've been approached by a
student in the US who is on a B1-B2 visa
from Latin America. He'd like to work on our farm for a few weeks to
pass time while he's waiting for his tour of the US to begin.

I'm not finding much concise info on tourist visas and work on the
web. What I do find tends to be contradictory.

International WWOOF does say that you can WWOOF in the US on a
tourist visa. And, truly, without even thinking about it, we've had
lots of WWOOFERS here on tourist VISAs in the past. But...

Other information says that you can neither work for FREE or for PAY
while in the US on a B1 or B2.

Since our operation already employees H2As, we are subject to
government review.

I'm wondering if it's imprudent, here in the US, to give this fellow
a chance to work, as a WWOOFER or otherwise.

Your input appreciated.

-Allan