permaculture - [permaculture] fumigated pallets

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Linda Shewan <linda.shewan@bryn.com.au>
  • To: "pil-pc-oceania-request@lists.permacultureinternational.org" <pil-pc-oceania-request@lists.permacultureinternational.org>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] fumigated pallets
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:33:06 +1000

Hi, we are building windbreaks around our numerous gardens using untreated
timber pallets. We have identified a source of unlimited pallets (yippee!)
which are not the green of treated pine and don't belong to Chep Pallets,
however as they have been imported from China and Indonesia they have been
treated with fumigants, prior to importation into Australia.

Can anyone advise the risks with using fumigated pallets in food gardens. And
around children. Is there some way of determining their usefulness or
otherwise?

Appreciate any info, Linda