permaculture - Re: [permaculture] marking lines for a maze

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Linda Shewan <linda.shewan@bryn.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] marking lines for a maze
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 18:40:52 +1000

Thanks Lawrence, we have lots of blue haybale twine and they started using
that but they found it very confusing as there are so many criss-crosses -
and there was a major tendency to get tangled! Using different colours as you
suggest might help! The only potential problem here is the children's ability
to connect them securely to the sticks at the end. We live in a very
gale-prone area and even road signage and trees regularly blow down so I have
my doubts that their knots would hold over the weeks... maybe a knot tying
workshop is in order...

While adults can handle markers at distant points, the kids really need a
continuous line. Constant markers would require a lot of pins to secure them
to the ground - but could be done.

The edible maze team is made up of one 9 year old leader and four 6-8 year
olds. As they are doing everything themselves with teachers only acting as
"guides" I need it to be as simple as possible. Paint on stuff that will not
wear off for a few weeks would be the ultimate - any ideas in that vein?

Thanks, Linda