permaculture - Re: [permaculture] certified permaculture designers

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "permaculture@apollobay.org.au" <permaculture@apollobay.org.au>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] certified permaculture designers
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 22:36:10 -0400

What is the role is envisaged for the "Professionalization of Permaculture"
in the longer term?

Or is it just a transitional thing?

Laurence Gaffney

Not sure Laurence, if we are moving towards a more feudal society, as David
Holmgren presents when he's outlining future scenarios, perhaps there is
room for permaculture as a profession. Not everyone has own land to
develop their own permaculture plot over years, many people who rent have
to move regularly and others who do have land don't have time or interest
to do their own permaculture work. So what do you call people who are
earning their income doing permaculture work for others or in the
community? Best to look at how other professions have emerged... look at
the profession of architecture. The profession of Graphic Designers only
emerged in the 20th century, with advertising with the print medium, and
has flourished with the electronic medium.

Laurence, I know we disagree on many aspects; like PermaBlitzes, Jim's
Permaculture franchaise, and Bill's idea to have a worldwide permaculture
political party, as well as permaculture becoming an established
profession. I'm supportive of all of these. I'm happy that permaculture
is being respected by the mainstream, and has now become pretty much
mainsteam in Australia. It's great! And these different ways only broaden
the perception of waht permaculture is, breaking up the perception of
perception of permaculture being just gardening.

Cheers!
Fern

PS. Bill Mollison is planning to have a meeting this year on October 31st
in Melbourne Australia regarding establishing a permaculture political
party. This will be after the Advanced Permaculture Design course that
David Holmgren is running on 26th to 28th October, in Apollo Bay (southwest
of Melbourne). Please book for David Holmgren's course as there's limited
numbers. These events will be a great convergence of established
permaculture practitioners.

Bill Mollison is also writing a new edition of the designers manual. New
additions that will be included in the updated manual are being covered in
the Otways PDC which runs in Apollo Bay this August.

  • Re: [permaculture] certified permaculture designers, permaculture@apollobay.org.au, 08/02/2007