permaculture - Re: [permaculture] cherry fruit fly, gentle methods of eradicating?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] cherry fruit fly, gentle methods of eradicating?
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 01:34:11 -0400 (EDT)

The cherry fruit fly is closely related to the apple fruit fly or railroad
worm which evolved from it and first came to notice in the 1860's
according to my reading.

Many people have reported fair success controlling the apple fruit fly
with traps, using red spheres about apple size coated with tree
tanglefoot. I think that ready made spheres are commercially available, or
anything similar can be used. Two are three spheres are suspended around
the edge of a full sized apple tree as I recall.

I suspect that something similar would be useful for cherries. You might
try the fake apples to begin with; perhaps putting them out as soon as the
cherries start developing.

There are I believe, traps with sticky surface for monitoring cherry fruit
flies. I'm not sure whtehr they use pheromeones or cherry scent. You might
use one or a feww of these if you can get them cheaply enough. Fruit
grower supply houses or organic grower supply houses might be sources.
Extension agents might supply information.

If you use lures depending entirely on scent you might want to put them a
little way away from your cherry tree.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada