permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Design critiques

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Design critiques
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 02:27:54 -0400

Linda Shewan wrote:

Hi Jedd,

I'm afraid that sometimes our personal hearts and minds are not always
in sync with our families and other parts of our lives. So while I would
not support Microsoft personally (I abhore the African green revolution
idea as well as many other things that they are doing and have done), it
\

Good that you are tuned in and listening. One "green (NOT) revolution" should
have been enough,
but a second? Only mickeysquishy. Why couldn't they have consulted with some
permaculture people?
and organic farmers? Warren Buffet is a cool guy and I am impressed with him
(waiting to see if Tommy has
poignant critique of him :-) as he did with RP.

so happens they are a part of my current existence. Given that, no I
don't see a problem with using it. But I would never use a chemical just
because it is there. I don't even use natural pesticides in my garden
because I believe any spray destroys the natural order of things. We all

Good point. Your definitely using observation and reflection, an important
permaculture technique
used in site evaluation.

draw different lines don't we...
I always expected to save my visio files in another format for posting -
jpg probably. I guess I imagined collaboration would be text
oriented/conversation etc rather than physical design changes to the
posted design... can we do that.

What is a visio file? Generally proprietary graphical file format, especially
obscure ones,
are to be avoided when collaborating on a public online information project,
because few users will
be able to extract the data without going to a lot of extra trouble.
Can't you scan your blueprint, edit it in Photoshop and save it as a .jpg,
then upload it for viewing by others.
If some wish to make changes, corrections or additions to it they can
download it, print it, make changes, scan it,
load it into Photoshop, edit and save it then upload it alongside the
original into the Wiki. If you've used a CAD or
vector graphics program to create it you could also upload those files for users to download and modify with the same programs if they have them. The .jpg version should always be created and uploaded so people can quickly review
your design and get on with suggestions for modifications..

> And if so - what software is the wiki
using to allow it???

Mediawiki, same app that Wikipedia uses. Its very powerful software.

Or would you download it to your PC, change it and
then upload your changed design back to the Wiki. As you can see I have
no idea how the wiki operates and until I really do I am not sure how I
am progressing...

Yes, see above.

I will investigate the gimp or dia - any more info on what they are or
do I just google them?

Thanks for your input, Linda

LL
--