permaculture - Re: [permaculture] No-till potatoes - surface cultivation and deep mulching

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] No-till potatoes - surface cultivation and deep mulching
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:07:01 -0700 (PDT)

Claudia,

I didn’t know that you can grow sweet potatoes above the ground.
Can you explain how it is done. And how are the Japanese
sweet potatoes different from other sweet potatoes. I used
to live in Japan, but didn’t do any gardening then.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

Claudia Joseph <permie@earthlink.net> wrote:
I had a problem with japanese sweet potatos - they were bitter.
I had heard that they do well in sand but I used compost and straw in
the above ground cage because I had it.
Also, some that I picked earlier were sweeter. The vine was
extremely vigorous and dark green.
Anyone know the specifics?

Claudia