permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Fwd: article - Shoppers flock to farmers' markets

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Fwd: article - Shoppers flock to farmers' markets
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 04:37:12 -0400

lbsaltzman@aol.com wrote:

I think this is on the whole good news, but where I live I have seen a negative side of
farmers markets in California. The control of the market in my town has been taken over
by out of town farmers who literally staged a coup. The rules allow in one case have
prevented a local organic farmer of Asian greens from selling at the market to protect
a non-local, non-organic farmer who travels about 400 miles every week to sell their
produce. This is becoming the norm at bigger California Markets as more and more
farmers truck produce up and down are large state to sell at "local markets."
I don't think this is a sustainable trend, and at least in some locations is
perverting the intent of the makets as large farms with bigger staffs are gobbling up
space at more and more markets. Small family farms don't have a chance against this.

LB:

Thanks a million for posting this news about farmers markets in California, depressing in the extreme but a heads-up for us at the HFM.

Thanks again.

LL

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.