permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Fwd: article - Shoppers flock to farmers' markets

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Fwd: article - Shoppers flock to farmers' markets
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 04:21:42 -0400

I think this is on the whole good news, but where I live I have seen a
negative side of farmers markets in California. The control of the market in
my town has been taken over by out of town farmers who literally staged a
coup.  The rules allow in one case have prevented a local organic farmer of
Asian greens from selling at the market to protect a non-local, non-organic
farmer who travels about 400 miles every week to sell their produce.  This is
becoming the norm at bigger California Markets as more and more farmers truck
produce up and down are large state to sell at "local markets."  I don't
think this is a sustainable trend, and at least in some locations is
perverting the intent of the makets as large farms with bigger staffs are
gobbling up space at more and more markets.  Small family farms don't have a
chance against this.