permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Shoppers "flock" to farmers' markets

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "paul" <charybda@newmex.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Shoppers "flock" to farmers' markets
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 22:55:05 -0600

This study is encouraging and very misleading. The study is about people's
preferences and not about their actions. While in the study 30% "preferred"
buying direct from farmers or at farmers markets, in my experience of selling
my produce at farmers markets, we don't even get close to 10% of the
population coming through any of the markets in my region. If you think about
a city of 500,000 people, would it even be possible for 150,000 people to get
through a farmers market on a Saturday morning? Impossible. That's more
people than fit in any football stadium.

The city of Santa Fe, New Mexico USA sees about 5,000 people through a market
peak season. The population is 70,000 and the market draws from a larger
surrounding area not in that count.

Paul Cross

  • Re: [permaculture] Shoppers "flock" to farmers' markets, paul, 06/26/2007