permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Design-Bioregional-Energy/overpopulation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Design-Bioregional-Energy/overpopulation
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:51:51 EDT

Don says "I few words....let's limit the worlds population, lets stop
interfering
with nature. what is it that makes humans of greater value than say an
ant???"

This is unlikely to ever be a popular suggestion.

In fact this sentiment is capitalized upon by the greenwash artists who
artfully incline the public against ideas like conservation, recycling and
sustainable uses in general. They tend to paint everyone in the movement as
being
dangerous radicals who don't care about human beings or the future of
civilization, telling us we're no more important than ants, and should be
curbed to save
the world for the butterflies and the birds.

Which, of course, is true to some degree. But when you put it out there like
that, all the folks in mainstream America tend to come out against whatever
it
is we're for. I would underplay that whole approach when speaking to a wider
audience, and leave unsaid the connection between (a) our overconsumption of
world resources and (b) the need for fewer people.

When put that way, it can be bent to seem like we're in favor of mass
extermination campaigns. And at any rate, people will decide to reproduce
themselves
for strongly felt reasons all their own. I think they might resent having any
organization inside or out of government telling them how many kids are
recommended nowadays.

Michael