permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Controlling crab grass

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kevin Topek" <ktopek@houston.rr.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Controlling crab grass
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 17:40:44 -0500

Dieter & Tom,

Crabgrass is a real nusiance for us on the Gulf Coast of Texas. I have
observed that it will not thrive in areas mulched with partially rotted
wood. With that in mind, I have been controlling it in my business practice
using partially decomposed wood mulch. The mulch ties up nutrients that were
in the top layer of soil, smothers the crabgrass and leaches a tannic acid
that will not allow the crabgrass to thrive. If possible, it is best to
remove as much of the surface layer grass and rhizomes as practicable before
applying the wood mulch. Leaf mold mulch and hay mulch will not work as well
as partially decomposed wood mulch. It has worked for me!

Kevin Topek