permaculture - [permaculture] 2007 Northeastern Permaculture Convergence, July 6-8, Ithaca, NY USA

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Burns <michael@fingerlakespermaculture.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] 2007 Northeastern Permaculture Convergence, July 6-8, Ithaca, NY USA
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:15:48 -0400

2007 NORTHEASTERN PERMACULTURE SUMMER CONVERGENCE

http://www.fingerlakespermaculture.org/2007nepcsummerconvergence.htm

Cayuga Nature Center - Ithaca, NY

July 6 - 8

WHO?

Since January 2005, permaculture activists throughout the Northeast have been meeting and actively creating a network for mutually supporting each other and advancing permaculture solutions among the wider public in our area.

As permaculture designers we strive to recognize existing resources and create beneficial relationships between them. Farmers, teachers, designers, authors, researchers, extension agents, and other pc enthusiasts have all met face-to-face or otherwise communicated to collectively envision a complex mutualism where we share experiences, information, and resources, identify and meet each other’s needs, and recognize and advance permaculture skills and ethics as a new cultural paradigm.

WHAT?

Our mission for the 2007 NEPC Convergence is to stimulate the network by focusing on local and regional connections, sharing resources, and continuing to define the structure, function, and organization of the group.

We intend to create an open and inclusive atmosphere that is a well balanced experience of interactive presentation, roundtable discussion, and skill sharing mixed with healthy local food, music, and ample social time.

WHERE?

We are hosting the gathering in the beautiful Finger Lakes Region of New York State. Ithaca has long been known for its progressive politics and pursuits of alternative living.

The site is 130+ acres of farm, field and forest operated by Cayuga Nature Center, the parent organization for the Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute. We are currently engaged in several designs and implementions of permaculture on the property, including extensive gardens, a keyline project at our farm, and the beginnings of a forestry program.

See www.cayuganaturecenter.org for more information.

WHEN?

The convergence will take place from Friday, July 6 through Sunday, July 8.

On Friday we will gather, share a potluck meal, and open an exhibit which will showcase permaculture projects from around the northeast (including yours!) The evening will culminate with the first NEPC Talent Show. We invite you to show us your favorite talent. Are you a bowling ball juggler or contortionist? Flamenco dancer or Poet? Permaculture Stand-Up comedian or Permie Punk Rocker? Please share with the northeast crew your songs and stylings.

On Saturday we will focus on understanding and developing the permaculture movement. Several sessions will focus on various elements of permaculture with a focus on "making connections" and sharing ideas. Concurrently, a permaculture fundamentals course will be offered by emerging teachers to those who are new to the discipline. In the evening, we will gather as a community to articulate our goals for NEPC before kicking off our shoes and enjoing live music and discussion 'round the fire.

On Sunday the emphasis will be on "skill sharing," where folks will demonstrate concrete skills for participants, from a medicianl plant walk to "hot box" cooking technology. There will be a fundraising brunch for Cayuga Nature Center from 10 - 12, featuring organic & local foods. (Suggested donation $6 - $20) We will close the convergence with a circle to offer our thanks and set intentions for the coming year.

visit http://www.fingerlakespermaculture.org/ 2007nepcsummerconvergence.htm for a complete schedule.

WHY?

Climate change, peak oil, an unstable food system, violence, and social justice are all reasons to develop a movement which addresses the needs of both humans and the environment. We are faced with unprecedented challenges and need discussion, support, and good organizing if we hope to overcome them. Permaculture has been a source of positive, solution-oriented thinking that has proven to restore ecosystems, increase diversity, and improve the qualilty of living for thousands of people around the world.

HOW?

These gatherings are made by the participants. (YOU!) The steering committee is focused on ensuring that the logistics and mechanisms to achieve our stated goals (above) are functional, and we are asking everyone to read below and get involved!

*We are now accepting registrations and proposals for interactive workshops, roundtable discussions, and skill shares, as well as entries for the project exhibit and talent show!*

The cost is sliding scale $25 - $100. This includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Saturday.

PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE FOR COMPLETE INFORMATION & REGISTRATION: http://www.fingerlakespermaculture.org/2007nepcsummerconvergence.htm

Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute, Summer '07
June 13-17 -- ADVANCED PERMACULTURE DESIGN SEMINAR with Dave Jacke & Jono Neiger
June 18-23 -- WATER FOR EVERT FARM: KEYLINE DESIGN with Darren Doherty
July 6-8 -- 2007 NORTHEASTERN PERMACULTURE CONVERGENCE
August 3-19 -- PERMACULTURE DESIGN CERTIFICATION COURSE
http://www.fingerlakespermaculture.org

  • [permaculture] 2007 Northeastern Permaculture Convergence, July 6-8, Ithaca, NY USA, Michael Burns, 06/13/2007