permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture and Corporate Politics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Eugene Monaco" <efmonaco@comcast.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture and Corporate Politics
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:13:35 -0400

One strategy is to try to reverse the corporations classification as a
person, but there are other strategies. IMO, there are cynical and
justified reasons to hate corporations, but there are good reasons to have
them as well, including their permutations, which include non-profits,
trusts, land trusts, governments, NGOs, home owner's associations, etc.
The challenge is to demand that the corporations behave as good citizens.
Right now, a group of them don't seem to care about anything except for
short term profits, and they are rich enough and smart enough to get their
way to continue this. This has to change and can change if we demand it.
True, it is not something that one can change over night, but there are
examples of successes when people rallied to force change.
Whether it's Ron Paul, John McCain, Hillary Clinton, Barak Obama or anybody
else, they will have to raise nearly US$ 1 billion to win the election, and
that's not going to come from you and me; rather, it will come from the men
who control the richest corporations. All sides will take the money. I
often wondered why under Clinton/Gore, the USA didn't do more to promote
energy conservation. The answer is that all their real constituents were
against it for short term financial reasons.
If you listen to the June 5 broadcast of Democracy Now, Amy Goodman
interviews John Perkins, author of "The Secret History of the American
Empire: Economic Hit Men, Jackals, and the Truth about Global Corruption."
This was eye opening for me. Others may already be well aware. It's well
worth a listen.
In essence Perkins explains that the imperialism is not American, it is
basically the G8. But the G8 is not what you think in that the governments
are beholden to the most powerful corporations. Anybody notice that
Halliburton moved its headquarters to Dubai?
There is a fight to the death for the remaining oil. But it's not just oil.
The pursuit of coaltan is destroying the Congo so we can have cheap
computers, and so on. The strategy of relocalization and bioregional
permaculture will go a long way on many fronts.

Gene Monaco
Knoxville, TN