permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Favorite Herb Books

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Favorite Herb Books
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 02:08:27 +1000

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Sharon Gordon wrote:
> Does anyone have recommendations? In
> addition to growing information, I am interested in cooking uses, medical
> uses, and other useful functions such as making dyes or ways herbs can be
> used in the garden.

Simon Mills 'The Complete Herbal' is good, if a little out-dated in
parts. A heavy read, but very entertaining and enlightening.

The RHS (DK) encylopedia <sic> of herbs and their uses,
by Deni Brown .. is a superb reference book, but can be
hard to track down.

Harold McGee's Science of Food .. would probably fit the
category also.

Jedd.