permaculture - [permaculture] permaculture summer events, finger lakes, NY: updates

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michael Burns" <burns@panix.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU
  • Subject: [permaculture] permaculture summer events, finger lakes, NY: updates
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 13:03:57 -0400 (EDT)

UPDATES & ANNOUNCEMENTS

from the

FINGER LAKES PERMACULTURE INSTITUTE
www.fingerlakespermaculture.org
Ithaca, NY

Located in the Finger Lakes Bioregion of New York, FLPCI hosts a variety
of courses, workshops,
and special events year-round on the 160+ acre Cayuga Nature Center.
(www.cayuganaturecenter.org)

-- PERMACULTURE FARM DESIGN CHARRETTE FEE REDUCED
-- KEYLINE COURSE IS IMPORTANT FOR NE - JOIN US
-- NEPC SUMMER CONVERGNCE INFORMATION NOW POSTED

*PERMACULTURE FARM DESIGN CHARRETTE FEE REDUCED*

Due to some logisitical changes, we have changed the format of the
Advanced Design Charette scheduled for June 13 - 17

June 13: Arrive and Settle In
June 14 & 15: Site Assessment, Client Interview, and Schematics with
Cayuga Nature Center Land Use Manager STEVE GABRIEL
June 16 & 17: Complete Design Process facilitated by JONO NEIGER of
Regenerative Design, ecologist, land steward, teacher and designer.

Meal prices will also be reduced, though the

We are asking for $150 - $250 sliding scale for participation in this
event.

This is a unique experience to help develop a 5-year plan to turn the
dormant Cayuga Nature Center farm into a permaculture demonstration site
and learn advanced keyline design and practice!

We encourage permaculture graduates who want to improve their design
literacy to come spend ten days honing their skills in a cooperative,
engaging, demanding, and fun atmosphere.

*KEYLINE COURSE IS IMPORTANT FOR NE - JOIN US*

We are experiencing the realities of global warming here in the
Northeast, with both increasd flooding and drought, extreme fluctuations
in temperatue, and shifting seasonal changes. Keyline is a solution that
allowed farmers and land owners to survive and thrive during several
consecutive drought years in Australia. This system can be applied to
any climate, and proves to be an important solution to large scale
ecological restoration.

Keyline is a set of principles, techniques and systems which form the
logical basis for a plan for the sustainable development of rural and
urban landscapes. The application of Keyline Design presents a great
departure from mere “Soil Conservation” as practiced by so many. The
application of Keyline Pattern Plowing for example is designed to not be
satisfied with Soil Conservation but with “Soil Creation”!

This course runs from June 18 – 23 and is taught by expert DARREN
DOHERTY, a permaculture teacher, designer, developer, and manager with
extensive international experience in keyline design. (website:
http://www.permaculture.biz)

The cost is $680 which includes camping and three local, organic meals
each day.

*Hear a Radio interview with Keyline Designer Darren Doherty:
http://www.fingerlakespermaculture.org/keylinedesigncourse.htm*

*NEPC SUMMER CONVERGNCE INFORMATION NOW POSTED*
http://www.fingerlakespermaculture.org/2007nepcsummerconvergence.htm

We have held seasonal gatherings since '05 to facilitate connection and
networking between permies all over the NE. The location of these

Our mission for the 2007 NEPC Convergence is to stimulate the network by
focusing on local and regional connections, sharing resources, and
continuing to define the structure, function, and organization of the group.

We intend to create an open and inclusive atmosphere that is a well
balanced experience of interative presentation, roundtable discussion,
and skill sharing mixed with healthy local food, music, and ample social
time.

These gatherings are made by the participants. (YOU!) The steering
committee is focused on ensuring that the logistics and mechanisms to
acheive our stated goals (above) are functional, and we are asking
everyone to read below and get involved!

*We are now accepting registrations and proposals for interactive
workshops, roundtable discussions, and skill shares, as well as entries
for the project exhibit and talen show!*

PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE FOR COMPLETE INFORMATION & REGISTRATION:
http://www.fingerlakespermaculture.org/2007nepcsummerconvergence.htm

###