permaculture - Re: [permaculture] scythes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: tom <tom@honeychrome.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] scythes
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 21:00:08 -0400

I'll add my voice to the enthusiasm for scythes. I was a little skeptical and thought the famous Wendell Berry essay and other writings extolling the scythe had to be tending to the hyperbolic, but figured if using a scythe was half as great as they all claimed it would be worth while. I got one last fall but didn't get around to putting it together and using it until just a couple weeks ago and I can't say enough good things about it. I still have to hone (ha ha) my stroke and sharpening techniques, but after just a couple hours I was amazed at how effective and actually fun it is. I just ordered a second one with a bush blade to tackle some serious bramble growth that I've been putting off mainly because I despise using the motorized weed whacker- stinks up the air, costs $ in gas to run, leaves my ears ringing, my hands numb and my back sore. I hope I never have to start that damn thing up again.

Scythe Supply (www.scythesupply.com) is where I got mine from. Lots of good info on the website and very helpful on the phone. A good modern scythe outfit ain't cheap, but I think it'll be worth it.