permaculture - [permaculture] racism

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kathy Evans" <evansdk@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] racism
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 14:25:23 -0500

Toshio, Wow, I truly didn't know that asking where someone was from was
offensive...if that's the case, I'll cease and desist. I'm always interested
in culture and language and story, I have asked people that. When I say "pop"
instead of soda, people immediately ask if I'm from the Upper Midwest, which
I am. I figure our ethnic/cultural/language differences are obvious, that we
aren't all Anglo-Euro, and that it was okay to ask about it. I never imagined
it to be something that separates us, more something that appreciates our
differences. It doesn't make me think someone is less American. I write
people's biographies for a living, and nothing is more interesting to me than
a person's "story." But I can see your point, and I'm sure it's tiresome and
now I know that it is offensive. I will take your word for it. Always
something new to learn. thanks. Kathy

Kathy Evans
evansdk@earthlink.net