permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Terraced farmland in Madagascar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "paul wheaton" <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Terraced farmland in Madagascar
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 09:38:44 -0700

I tried to open the link and my adobe reader said the file was corrupt.

Wikipedia had info.

I wonder if there is something similar for colder climates.

On 5/22/07, Walt Dennig <edennig@pacbell.net> wrote:
I remember these terraces from a trip there in '96 . . . the one
thing missing from some of them is the use of Vetiver (Vetiver
zizanioides) as a barrier and "auto-terracer" . . . Although this
link is not about agriculture, you can see the power of this plant in action:
http://vetiver.org/ICV3-Proceedings/MAD_rail_stab.pdf2.pdf

This grass has been used for centuries as a natural auto-terracer, in
the Caribbean and India . . . now it is being used in most of the
tropic and sub-tropic countries . . . http://vetiver.org has a wealth
of information that would be useful as an adjunct to permaculture . . .

Walt