permaculture - Re: [permaculture] anti-semitism or naivete

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] anti-semitism or naivete
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 01:06:34 EDT

I've been trying to stay out of this particular discussion, in the hopes it
would resolve itself. I'm thinking maybe that it needs a little help though--
and earnestly hope this comment doesn't serve to just make things worse.

Martin-- I can certainly appreciate your thinking that ultimately we are all
one, and all sprang from the same mother, so cannot be divided into separate
races. And I am also very open to the idea that we are at the mercy of a
small
group of very smart people who control the movements of money. Both ideas can
be supported.

But I will suggest it is naivete on your part if you are to innocently
suggest that these international bankers, members of some conspiracy, are
Jewish...
and then don't expect any kind of problem to arise. There are some among us
who, given the history of their own ancestors, get some very scary vibes off
that particular statement.

Different tribes have different triggers. If you haven't thought about this
one before, at least respect it. There are, for instance, a lot of bars in
the
world where you can walk in and make what you think is a perfectly reasonable
comment about someone's mother-- only to get a response you may not expect.

It's also a bad idea, if you meet a black person whose manner of speech
impresses you, to call him "articulate". Don't ask why. Just jot it down in
your
book as being something of a sore point among many black people. And please,
if
this impulse ever arises in the course of conversation, self-censor before
the
word pops out.

I'm offering these tips in the spirit of diplomacy. We need it now more than
ever.

Michael