permaculture - [permaculture] Anti-semitism and a (possible) permaculture principle

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jenny Katz <jennykatz@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Anti-semitism and a (possible) permaculture principle
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 08:52:16 -0400

I wonder if we might usefully propose a permacultural principle of "embracing resistance." Nature does it, after all--the water moves around the rock (while at the same time carving the canyon). Rather than judging, maybe we might find more joy and growth through accepting what comes to us as a gift, as all design constraints are gifts. How are our buttons being pushed? What does that teach us about the shape of ourselves and of our personal ecosystem? Our (my) negative and judgemental reactions are a sign of a breach in the web-- a failure to connect--so maybe we can see these moments as gifts from the other, from the !@#$&* button-pushers, and be grateful (or at least appreciative) for them.

(I say this after a night of saying all the wrong damn things to my ten-year-old, so am trying to articulate a theory of acceptance, basically--of him and of myself.)

This list continues to challenge, provoke, inspire, inform, and delight me, every single day. Thank you, everyone.

Jenny

  • [permaculture] Anti-semitism and a (possible) permaculture principle, Jenny Katz, 05/21/2007