permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Frozen trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Frozen trees
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 17:54:51 -0500

I live a few hours south of Kathy, in the MO Ozarks and the tree situation is terrible. They say old timers called this a "black spring", altho nobody remembers anything "this" bad. The sassafras trees took it very hard. I heard one person say he thought close to 100% of them in the Ozarks are dead. He had an over-100 year old one in his yard, 122 inches circumference, and it appears dead. Sycamore trees were also very hard hit. They are still easy to see as they have very few leaves and the white trunks stick up suspiciously among all the green surrounding leaves. The oaks seem to be coming back altho they have lots of dead twigs that are now falling. The acorn crop is a moot question....none. Mimosa trees got hit very hard too, killing plenty to the ground, and maybe permanently. Japanese maples seemed to die easily and I have even heard reports of dead redbuds and dogwoods, altho both of those could come back from the roots. Many grape vines are dead, some of mine included, and the tame blackberry crop is barely there this year. Blueberry crop is non-existent, and there are hardly any strawberries either, but the plants have recovered.

I think a lot of it depended on where one lived with all these hills and hollows. 18 degrees was predicted, but one acquaintance had 12 degrees, and it even killed most of what was in her unheated greenhouse. Those of us "permie" types around are really thinking about future plantings, given even more erratic weather predicted for the future. One thing I thought is interesting is that there is talk of changing the climatic zones, due to global warming. Summers may be warmer, but if winters come and smack us like it did this year, we will have to add that to our plans, too.

By the way, I had frost the last two mornings down in my bottom field garden. Not a killing frost, except for the basil, thank goodness, because all but hot season veggies are already planted, but highly unusual anyway.

Lisa, in the MO Ozarks

----- Original Message ----- From: <Marimike6@cs.com>