permaculture - [permaculture] Terraced farmland pics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Diver <steved@ipa.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Terraced farmland pics
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 11:13:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hey Larry -

Thanks for plucking those beautiful images out of pbase
and sharing terraced farmland pics with the Permaculture List.

The associated pics of people, food, habitations, culture,
art, plants, and water bring the real-world experience of
the two-thirds world to life.

In my travels to terraced farmland in the Himalayas,
the history and work of terraced farms became more
understandable.

One of the terraced valleys we visited was said to
have existed like that for one thousand years, while
another was about one hundred years old.

As population increases, more hillside lands are
brought into cultivation.

In India, they have these small indigenous mountain
bullocks that work the terraces. Their water buffalo
cousins down in the lowlands are behometh monsters by
comparison. These small bullocks can turn a wooden
plow on a dime. Some of the narrow terraces are only
4-6 wide, with a three foot retaining wall stepping
up to the next level.

After reflecting on the situation in the Himalayas,
I remaked to my agricultural host that I don't see
machinery coming to these mountains and displacing
the age-old methods... in one thousand years, it
will still look much the same, a form of localized,
sustainable agriculture. My friend who works with
the local farmers said yes, in one thousand years
it will still look much the same.

Check out Uttaranchal, India and related portions
of the Himalayas on pBase; in some of these farmlands,
the TransHimalayas loom in the background:

step farming, ranikhet, uttaranchal india2484.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/digitalfestival/image/55687472

dharamshala greens200.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/digitalfestival/image/55350652

Best regards,