permaculture - Re: [permaculture] frozen trees and baby steps to permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] frozen trees and baby steps to permaculture
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:48:17 -0400

I have trees growing in very heavy clay soil. Two Satsuma plums in particular
are growing in clay that has veins of pottery grade red clay and doing
beautifully. You can do a lot to prep the soil that you can find covered in
any Permaculture text. Learn about pioneering plants with deep roots that
pull up nutrients and loosen the soil and other things you can do.

Also many fruit trees come grafted onto root stock. The trick is to find
good sources of trees in your location where they know the best root stocks
to graft the tree onto. If you are going to graft your own trees or buy the
trees already grafted research the root stocks they come on and make sure
they are appropriate for your soil.

Where I live in the Central Coast of California, there is a wholesale nursery
called Dave Wilson, where the rootstocks have been carefully researched for
the local soils. I am sure there are similar companies in many locations.
Avoid buying trees from nurseries at large chain stores and typical retail
nurseries. They often sell trees that will be totally inappropriate for your
location. I bet there is a lot of of information on rootstocks if you search
the web.