permaculture - [permaculture] frozen trees and baby steps to permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kathy Evans" <evansdk@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] frozen trees and baby steps to permaculture
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:37:02 -0500

Jedd, Thank you for the suggestions....seems like stuff I can actually start
on. Can I grow fruit trees in clay soil in the understory of oak/hickory
forest?
It's easy for me to be overwhelmed trying to understand and apply
permaculture and not sure how to just begin in a small way. I can only speak
for myself but I wonder if that holds some people back from getting into it,
because it's such a huge body of knowledge and a lot of what I see has to do
with major design projects.
Thank you Felicity, regarding the trees, someone emailed me off list and
said they had seen highly stressed trees come back after more than a year of
dormancy...I want the local public to know that so that people here in
Midwestern suburbia don't start getting trigger happy with a chainsaw. At
least I want them to wait awhile and see what lives and what doesn't. Now I'd
say half the mature trees are affected, with zero signs of life three weeks
later, after leafing out and freezing. Others have literally a couple dozen
leaves on a seventy foot tall tree. God bless the trees.
Thanks for the help, Kathy

Kathy Evans
evansdk@earthlink.net