permaculture - Re: [permaculture] feeding sugar to bees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] feeding sugar to bees
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:51:04 -0400

Despite the hard frosts taking out a lot of tree and shrub flowers locally (Bloomington IN) quite a few blossoms survived. In many lawns the dandelions are blooming up a storm. If I had mowed, like many of my neighbors who couldn't even wait for the grass to grow, most of the lawn flowers would have been reduced to mulch. If I were a pollinator, I'd be VERY grateful for dandelions. Still might experiment with offering additional food. In the meantime, I'm rapidly replacing lawn with blooming species.
Keith

roxann wrote:
i put out some sugar water for the bees at my house on saturday morning.
there were a few honeybees at the time. lol. i went away for an hour and came
back to what appeared to be the entire hive on the plate with sugar water! it
was poor thinking to leave the plate under the porch the first time because
bees were swarming the entire porch and front door, but thankfully they were
all in a jovial mood and didn't even bother stinging the people as we went in
and out for the rest of the day. there are no flowers blooming here now
because the recent freezes and frosts killed all the flowers that were
blooming. so i imagine that the pollinators are extremely thankful for any
food put out for them right now. hummingbirds too.

roxann, nw ar

--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."