permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [permaculture -ancient culivated forest

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: ed sarten <esarten@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [permaculture -ancient culivated forest
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 18:11:28 -0700 (PDT)

Is the amazon and other forests on this continent really uncultivated before
Columbus ? Not according to Charles Mann's recent book 1491.His studies show
that native americans have been cutting, clearing,burning,
planting,developing and cultivating these ancient forests for thousands of
years in a somewhat fukioka style.Many of our modern fruits and nuts come
from this lengthy process.

Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com> wrote: On 4/22/07 11:58 PM,
"Lawrence F. London, Jr." quoted:

>> On Gaia's Gardening, I suggest you read the intensely critical
> review by G. Williams--
>> on www.google.com --look for "Book Review: Gaia's Garden." Then
> look at Toby
>> Hemenway's response at www.google.com --look for "PC Slammed in
> Whole Earth Review" where Hemenway conceeds most of the critics points

Now that's a truly bizarre statement, enough to make me want to join the
Fukuoka Farming list just to refute it. My rebuttal of William's review
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0GER/is_2001_Winter/ai_81790196
begins:

"Greg Williams has written a passionate, articulate and--to the
non-ecologist--persuasive critique of permaculture. So persuasive, in fact,
that it sent me scampering to a basic ecology text to confirm that his
central premise--that meadows and farms are more productive than forests--is
completely wrong. His other claims--that my book is based on wishful
thinking rather than research, and that there are no data to support
permaculture--are equally incorrect."

If that's conceding most of his points, I'll eat my hat.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com