permaculture - [permaculture] baby steps to permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kathy Evans" <evansdk@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] baby steps to permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 07:33:32 -0500

Second question: I'm trying to learn to think permaculture. Much of what I
see posted on the list has to do with design. But I already have a small
conventional raised-bed organic garden, 1200 sq ft. I go out there and end up
doing what I do every year, mixing in compost from the henyard and planting
seeds in rows. What I need is small ways to start converting. I did mix up
the "three sisters" last year, only problem was that then the chipmunks, who
had never bothered my popcorn before, found the pole beans a convenient
scaffolding, and ran up it and ate all the popcorn before I realized what was
happening. But I digress....if a regular type organic gardener wants to move
more into a permaculture mode, can anyone tell me some babysteps to get
there? Time is an issue, single mom and breadwinner, so I just won't be going
to any courses in the near future or doing major redesign of my whole
yard--but are there ways to start making this transition? Rest of my yard is
all shade. Thanks, Kathy

Kathy Evans
evansdk@earthlink.net