permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Railroad ties and gardens

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Earth Passengers" <earthpassengers@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Railroad ties and gardens
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:49:58 +0800

Hi Robert,

Perhaps in addition to the foot of mulch between the ties and the beds, they
could plant a border of non-edible but useful plants such as basketmaking
grasses....?

There is some evidence that the nasty stuff in creosote (polycyclic aromatic
hydrocarbons (PAH) ) from railroad ties is uptaken by plants. Here are
some links to more information:

http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/(rqpxo4ztvak15x45cnjesz45)/app/home/contribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=issue,6,11;journal,16,68;linkingpublicationresults,1:107843,1

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_plants_weeds/article/0,1785,HGTV_3617_1397094,00.html

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrp/fpl_rp617.pdf

Perhaps you can share my experience with that community: I was talked into
having railroad ties part of a rooftop garden project - as retainer walls to
garden beds and a pond. I originally had no clue about creosote. Upon
smelling the stench of the ties as they were chainsawed into shape, i became
curious and began researching, to my horror. To remedy the problem, we lined
all the railroad tie beds with plastic liner to prevent contact with soil.
We also decided to use those planters mainly for non-edible native perennial
trees and plants as part of our project called for native plants.

By the way, the other part of that rooftop garden project included edible
trees and plants in beds made with large bus tyres (upper rim cut out to
increase planting area). I am really happy with the tyre gardens.

Hope that helps,

Peter Morehead