permaculture - [permaculture] Railroad ties and gardens

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Railroad ties and gardens
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 23:12:53 -0500

I visited a community garden project today (a new garden, just being created)
and I was shocked to find railroad ties forming the outer border. It is a
raised bed garden, the beds will be about 8 inches tall. The creosote-soaked
railroad ties will be about 1 ft from the sides of the beds. The area
between the beds and the railroad ties will be mulched.

The people said that they thought the railroad ties would be OK because they
are in contact with the plants. I pointed out that it would rain, chemicals
would leach into the water, and some of the water would probably be wicked up
into the beds. They did not seem convinced.

Any ideas out there for me to use to convince them that this is a bad idea?

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City