permaculture - [permaculture] Soil Question

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Primal Parent" <primalparent@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Soil Question
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 03:05:27 +0000

hello. we have a soil dilemma and hope someone out there can help us out.

two autumn's ago we attempted to sheet mulch a large (future) garden space. we laid down cardboard, leaves, horse manure, and straw and then covered everything with a sheet of black plastic hoping it would be ready for the spring.

over the winter we decided to move elsewhere first and after arriving here (a year late) we have discovered the area can be best described as "choked with dense dead grass." the landowner removed the black plastic but we are unsure if he tried to seed it or not (the only explaination we can think of). the actual soil underneath it, however is dark, rich and lush.

so our question is do we till the grass under/into it? or should we attempt to remove the "top layer" meaning the grass and whatever roots we can manage?

we can't understand why there is a large light-brown rectangle where the soil underneath is near perfect.

any advice?

-roman

Can’t afford to quit your job? – Earn your AS, BS, or MS degree online in 1 year. http://www.classesusa.com/clickcount.cfm?id=866145&goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classesusa.com%2Ffeaturedschools%2Fonlinedegreesmp%2Fform-dyn1.html%3Fsplovr%3D866143