permaculture - [permaculture] Useful knowledge- was Re: Useful Phytochemicals

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: KNat <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Useful knowledge- was Re: Useful Phytochemicals
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:04:47 -0500

H. Marshall wrote:
Hi folks, I am sure many of you have seen this database but in case not I
wanted to bring it to your attention...

http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/
Thanks. This would be a good candidate to be put into multiple places for the time free access isn't (with proper permissions of course.) Information is being boxed fast. Libraries clear books based on usage and soon the reference is not there to look up. I use old books and reprints of found books with simple plans for the things we need within our homestead. Takes lots of word of mouth to find them (and sometimes simply dropping on me at a used book source.) We've spoken here, within the week, of reading notes from lectures Steiner gave in 1820s to find clues to our bee troubles. Many of my favorite books are discards (favorite defined here as most useful in answering a question so I can go on with my intention.) Electronic libraries are doing the same. Simplifying by eliminating "unused" references.

I enjoyed travel w some ethnobotonists, including Duke, and attest the passage by word of mouth is the source of much of this. I was startled awake at that time that the next generation wasn't going to know any of what we were learning. There were no apprentices in those villages. As cultural value is lost, meaning is also. We must store more than what we currently find meaningful. (my favorite example was, in Peru, one young mother with a very ill child who had a kitchen herb garden outside her home, planted by neighbors/family with the plants traditional to give a young bride. A traditional gift of housewarming she herself had planted for others to honor their weddings. She did not know that everything she needed to cure her baby was growing by her back steps until we told her. No one had valued that knowledge in her life exposure and the plants had become either superstition or custom. Kept there and available by custom not meaning. Her child might not even have planted/tended those plants.)
I look at Duke's database and think of preserving rainforest knowledge. Attempts to have money go to the jungle not the pharmaceutical company pirate (or not just the pirate, I actually kinda like pirates.) Unaddressed funding to learn to value, before extinction, of plants with many answers. And the need to record the knowledge and preserve it!
Using models that worked for people for the longest time- a tribe or village needs to find and support a next generation to shadow and learn knowledge that requires touch, taste, osmose, as well as reading and writing. Time devoted to preservation not just development. One of my inspirations is the number of you finding supports and offering your mind receptacles for techniques of developing more sustainably. But I feel the need for more storehouses and maybe not just electronic versions.

Search engines maintain links based on commercial gain.
My search engines already fail. And our history and old research is within storage media most of you would not recognize even if you had a machine to read it.

Peace,
Kathyann

ps lol I suddenly recall my grandfather concerning the library would one day only contain Reader's Digest Condensed Books.
(history buffs- book publishers and educators (textbook publishers) made sure that didn't happen, quite deliberately.)