permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Hardy Kiwi cultivar availability/hardiness -- anyone know this cultivar?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Hardy Kiwi cultivar availability/hardiness -- anyone know this cultivar?
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:08:33 +1000

I echo Doug's sentiments -- A. arguta is meant to be hardy to
something like -30C (from memory this was the figure that
Luis Glowinski quoted in Fruit Growing In Australia).

I suspect the biggest problem with them would be late frosts,
as is usual with areas prone to frosts, but confounded by early
blossoming plants. Not an insurmountable problem, of course.

I've not heard of K2D4 - the site you cite hints that it may be
covered by PVR/PBR legislation (the name certainly doesn't sound
like a translation from mandarin of an ancient common name).

Have you tasted many other A. argutas? IOW, is this one particularly
superior to the others out there?

It's possible that K2D4 is self-fertile - you could try growing from
the seeds in the fruit you purchased. Though given the way that
the NZers grow Actinidias, and the fact I've only heard of one
self-fertile variety (Issai), *and* the fact that that one's only semi
self-fertile anyway .. I'd not be expecting a pure strain. However
you may end up with an interesting hybrid.

Jedd.