permaculture - Re: [permaculture] So what do you really think about long term climate change...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] So what do you really think about long term climate change...
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:25:02 -0400

I haven't heard of that before, but I would be careful correlation is not
causation. There is evidence that had the industrial revolution not happened
we would slowly be heading towards an ice age but not for a long time. The
real start of anthropogenic global warming comes with the industrial
revolution and the massive burning of fossil fuels. That process is
accellerating as the amount of CO2, specifically from fossil fuels, increases
every year in the atmosphere. Methane has a much shorter life in the
atmosphere than CO2. However as the feedback loops in the tundra and other
places kick in a huge amount of methane is going into the atmosphere which
potentially will really accellerate the process. Again, if you want to be
conversant in the serious science behind global warming there are a number of
really good internet sites. My favorite is www.realclimate.org which is run
by scientists actually doing cliimate change research and has excellent
articles and discussions. Other sites include:

http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/climate-change/
http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/
www.climatehotmap.org
www.globalwarming.net